There are many things that have to be sorted out after someone dies. This government guide explains all the main tasks in the order they need to happen. They also produce a guide to wills, money and property.

The Bereavement Advice Centre provides information and guidance on practical matters through their free helpline.

Financial help

Financial support is available for those caring for bereaved children, in certain circumstances.

  • If a child's main carer dies, the person who starts looking after them may be able to claim Child Benefit
  • People whose husband, wife or civil partner dies and who have dependent children may be able to claim support payments if they are under state pension age and their spouse or civil partner had paid enough National Insurance contributions.
  • If someone else is bringing up a child because both parents have died, they may be able to claim Guardian's Allowance. In some circumstances, it is payable even if one of the parents is still alive.

Gingerbread provides helpful support to widowed parents about benefits, work and other issues. Help is also available from the Citizens Advice Bureau and from Turn2Us.

Going back to work

For a parent caring for grieving children, going back to work after significant death in the family can feel overwhelming. ACAS has produced guidance for employers about supporting employees who have been bereaved. This also helps employees understand their rights and how to manage their bereavement and childcare responsibilities.

Going back to school

Returning to school after a parent, sibling or someone else important has died can be a challenge to children and young people. They may be unsure about who knows what has happened, how people will react to them and how they will manage their grief during the school day. For suggestions about how schools can support, click here.

If a death has happened close to a set of exams, the school may need to make an application for special consideration. Click here for our guidance.